13 March 2008

Is your password secure enough?

Password security is a biggie, which is why I like websites with a password checker that tells me if the password I'm choosing is weak or strong. I usually try to choose complicated passwords with numbers, letters, and symbols, but sometimes even those passwords can be weak.



If you're dying to know if one of the passwords on your list needs a makeover, check out this handy password checker over at Microsoft. The tool was actually pretty tough on my own passwords giving most of them a "medium" rating, which probably means I need to get a little more creative.

Passwords get rated as weak, medium strong, and best, and I was surprised to have a hard time achieving a best rating. After trying several passwords, the only one that got a "best" rating had a good mix of letters, numbers, and an underscore. I think the underscore is what really did it.
According to the site a strong password should:

1. Appear to be a random string of characters to an attacker.
2. Be 14 characters or longer, (eight characters or longer at a minimum).
3. Include a good combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.

If you're getting a "medium" rating on all your passwords, maybe it's time to update them.
Related:
How to set up an intruder alarm on your email account
Tips to make your inbox less vulnerable to identity theft

From
Yahoo! Tech

No comments: